“Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also the interests of others.”
– Philippians 2:4
John Wooden is one of the greatest coaches of all time and my personal favorite. Even though Coach Wooden is no longer with us, his values and character live on in the lives of those he influenced. That’s what is called leaving a legacy. The following are just a few of the principles that shaped his life. They are timeless and apply to coaches regardless of sport or level. Enjoy!
- Treat all people with dignity and respect.
- You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for another without thought of something in return.
- The time to make a friends is before you need them.
- Much can be accomplished by teamwork when no one is concerned about who gets the credit.
- Make sure the team members know they’re working with you, not for you.
- You handle things. You work with people.
- Love is the greatest of all words in our language.
Here’s a question we should ask ourselves each day: “Am I living a life worth copying?” Coach Wooden did and so did our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Lord God, thank You for Your love for us. You gave us the path to follow through the example of Your Son Jesus Christ. Give us Your strength to walk the path less traveled. Amen.